Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Is this racist?


Sincere question.  Is this racist?


I am by no means some social justice warrior or hipster. Quite frankly, I think this world has gone way overboard with the political correctness. I have an extremely inappropriate sense of humor. I like to push the envelope as much as possible without crossing the line from "naughty" to straight-up terrible human being.  That said, I am very sensitive to the plight of other races, religions, etc. I believe we should all be able to joke and have fun, but be aware of the lines and not intentionally hurt or offend people. That’s not PC, that’s just being a decent human being.

So that’s why I’m asking a serious question. My daughter has decided she wants to be Mulan for Halloween. My wife’s cousin lives in Hong Kong where she is a teacher. Or artist. Honestly, I’m not really sure. But she does live in Hong Kong. They are home for a visit and she gave both of my girls authentic Chinese dresses. Dresses everyone else in the family keep calling Kimonos not caring that kimonos are Japanese, not Chinese. What my cousin-in-law (that’s a thing, right?) gave my daughters is actually a cheongsam, or Mandarin gown in English. It is a traditional, body-hugging Chinese dress.

See, cultural sensitivity . . . and Wikipedia.

My older daughter Maya, who is 5, and I might add seems to have an affinity for Asian things as it is, immediately fell in love with it and announced she wanted to be Mulan this year come Halloween. To which I said that is a great idea. However she went on to say she needs white face paint and makeup. After all, in the movie when Mulan is dressed formally she wears the white makeup and bright lipstick common to the Chinese upper-class who valued pale skin as a sign of wealth and stature (again, thanks Wikipedia!) I suddenly grew a little uneasy.


I have Japanese friends. I have Korean friends. I don’t know that I have Chinese friends that I could ask. Would it be offensive if my daughter who comes from Irish / Swedish heritage put on Geisha-like makeup and paraded around the neighborhood? When I expressed concern about it, I was told I'm being silly. Plus, now that Halloween has become about how young is too young to dress as "slutty Minnie Mouse" I guess her wanting to dress in Chinese white face might not be so bad. I don't know . . .


Also, there is an issue of dumb Americans who immediately associate Geisha with prostitution, which is incorrect and ignorant. That I knew even without Wikipedia . . . sort of. I'm really not interested in dealing with that.


So I’m left wondering what other parents think. Is it unintentionally racist? Should I just give her the dress, maybe a black wig, and Mushu plush and let her explain who she is? Or am I overthinking it?
That should clear it up, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment